Establishing Supportive Working Conditions: Developing Inclusive Leaders
- State Case Studies
- CEC’s State of the Special Education Profession Survey Report
- Resources from Ohio
Looking for Certificates of Completion and/or Professional Development Hours (PDHs) for this presentation?
- If you are a CEC member:
- You must log in to the CEC Learning Library and view the free webinars there.
- Not a CEC member?:
About This Video
Investing in inclusive principal leadership is a powerful, cost-effective strategy to elevate teaching and learning. And leadership practices for students with disabilities benefit all students. When a principal cultivates a school environment where each student feels safe, supported, and valued, students with disabilities, along with other students who struggle to learn in school, can thrive. Likewise, research confirms that special educators leave the profession when they lack administrative support. The Council of Chief State School Officers Advancing Inclusive Principal Leadership (AIPL) network supports states in creating and implementing principal leadership plans to improve outcomes for each student, with a focus on students with disabilities.
In this session, state leads from Cohort 1 AIPL teams will share about their states’ efforts to advance inclusive principal leadership through policy and practice change. States will share their goals for the work, strategies for increasing partner support for the work in implementation, and lessons learned.
- Kaylan Connally, Program Manager, Student Expectations, Council of Chief State School Officers (presenter)
- Zelphine Smith-Dixon, Council of Chief State School Officers Advancing Inclusive Principal Leadership Coach, Chief Support Officer, Georgia Public Schools
- Debra Burson, Bureau Director, Educator Preparation, Mississippi Department of Education Mississippi Advancing Inclusive Principal Leadership Team Lead (panelist)
- Jo Hannah Ward, Director, Office for Exceptional Children, Ohio Department of Education, Ohio Advancing Inclusive Principal Leadership Team Lead
- Jill Grubb, Office for Exceptional Children, Ohio Department of Education, Ohio Advancing Inclusive Principal Leadership Team Co-Lead
- Matt Sewell, Arkansas Department of Education, Arkansas Advancing Inclusive Principal Leadership Team Lead (panelist)
- Jeff Adams, Arkansas Department of Education, Arkansas Advancing Inclusive Principal Leadership Team Co-Lead (panelist)
- Christy Hunt, Mississippi Department of Education, Professional Development Coordinator
Combatting Shortages of Educators Serving Students With Disabilities
The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) and the CEEDAR Center have collaborated with national partners and practitioners to produce a 12-part webinar series focused on evidence-based strategies to strengthen and diversify the special education workforce.
Created in partnership with: