CEC’s Core Values
Demonstrated by forward-thinking and courageous decision making dedicated to excellence and influence in an evolving environment
Demonstrated by ethical and responsive behavior, transparency, and accountability
Demonstrated by a commitment to diversity, caring, and respect for the dignity and worth of all individuals
Ratified December 8, 2014, by the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Board of Directors.
CEC’s Commitment to Diversity
In alignment with its core values – especially inclusiveness – the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) is committed to embracing the diversity of beliefs and characteristics of its members, as well as the individuals with whom its members work. In our roles as educators, association members, and staff, we are committed to treating each person with dignity and respect.
Diversity is very important when it comes to:
- Understanding the changing environment from a broader perspective
- Developing creative solutions to new problems
- Understanding the client populations served by the organization and its members
- Monitoring and strengthening programs and services
CEC views diversity to include race, ethnicity, culture, language, age, (dis)abilities, family status/ composition, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religious and spiritual values, geographic location, and country of origin.
CEC works with both policy educators and legislators at the local, state and national level to develop programs, policies and initiatives that promote:
- Educational practices that appropriately identify students from diverse backgrounds who receive special education and/or gifted services
- Assessment practices that accurately reflect cultural differences
- Education services that provide effective interventions for students from diverse backgrounds
- An increase in the number of diverse teachers, administrators, and university faculty from diverse backgrounds
In our dedication to ensure students with disabilities and/or gifts and talents from diverse groups/backgrounds receive high-quality educational services, we actively encourage not only membership of individuals from diverse groups/backgrounds, but the engagement and leadership of special educators from diverse groups/backgrounds across the organization as well.