Maintaining Quality: Georgia’s Alternative Pathway to Teacher Certification
Looking for Certificates of Completion and/or Professional Development Hours (PDHs) for this presentation?
- If you are a CEC member:
- You must log in to the CEC Learning Library and view the free webinars there.
- Not a CEC member?:
About This Video
All students were negatively impacted by the disruption to teaching and learning during the pandemic, and students with disabilities were disproportionately affected. States and districts are working hard to mitigate learning loss, but with the shortages of teachers—both general and special education teachers—doing so is challenging and complicated. Lessening teaching certification requirements has been met with concern about compromising quality.
In this session participants will hear from the Georgia Teacher Academy for Preparation and Pedagogy, Georgia’s alternative pathway to teacher certification, as speakers describe its efforts to implement a rigorous, job-embedded teacher preparation program that prioritizes coaching, support, and research-based strategies and practices known to positively impact student learning. Concentrating on hard-to-staff subjects and schools, this vital pipeline provides Georgia schools with bright, talented individuals who are often second-career professionals.
- Julie Beck, Georgia Professional Standards Commission
- Enjolia Farrington, Georgia Professional Standards Commission
- David Thacker, North Georgia Regional Educational Service Agency
- Michelle Thompson, Dekalb County School District, Georgia
- Ms. Melissa Roth, Dekalb County School District, Georgia
- Mr. Jeremy Fuller, Dekalb County School District, Georgia
Combatting Shortages of Educators Serving Students With Disabilities
The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) and the CEEDAR Center have collaborated with national partners and practitioners to produce a 12-part webinar series focused on evidence-based strategies to strengthen and diversify the special education workforce.
Created in partnership with: