Resources for Unit, Division, and Chapter Leaders
Component Volunteer Resources
Welcome to the Component Resources page!
This page is intended to support all component (Unit, Division, Chapter, and Sub-Division) volunteer leaders and connect them with various resources and tools related to component operations, communications, member engagement, and more!
We are currently updating all our resources- while it is under construction: Please scroll past charts to locate resources.
Know Your Component Type
What is a component? A component is any membership-based group within the larger organization. CEC has four main component types: state/provincial units, special interest divisions, local/student chapters and subdivisions. These four component types vary in their operations, yet share many similarities; as a result, there are many resources, tools and best practices that are shared by all of these groups and some that are completely unique to the component type. Learn more about the component types below.
|State/Provincial Units serve as the geographical-based membership group within CEC. These groups operate in partnership
|Chapters are location or student-based CEC member groups within a state/province.
|Divisions are focused groups of CEC members based on their professional interests, role, practice setting or focus in a specific exceptionality
|Sub-divisions are state/provincial based groups within an existing Division.
Units are supported by the component services manager and unit resource advisor.
State and Provincial Units directly support chapters within
Chapters leaders are directly supported by their Unit's leadership.
Interested in starting a chapter in your Unit? Contact your Unit leadership for more information about their process.
Divisions are supported by the director of component services.
Divisions directly support the Sub-divisions within their special interest division, even when based in a specific state or province.
Subdivision leaders are supported directly by their Division's leadership.
Interested in starting a subdivision in your Division? Contact your Division leadership for more information about their process.
Shared Component Resources
These resources are the starting point for any new board member, committee chair/member, or component staff. Our "Component Fundamentals" can and should be accessed throughout your volunteer term to keep you sharp and knowledgeable! This section covers your needs for:
Operational resources provide guidance related to basic component operations--the "stuff" at the core that helps you function. In this section, you can find resources on:
|Membership and Engagement Resources
"Membership Engagement" can be a daunting term--in reality, this refers to any form of connection opportunity for members such as a virtual networking event, professional development (small like a webinar or large like a conference), or membership drives/campaigns. The resources in this section offer a wide range of engagement-related tools. Some tools you can expect to see here include:
|Communication Templates and Resources
This section of resources contains a number of branding tools, sample social media posts, template communications and website resources. Look no further, these resources include:
|Events and Virtual Programming Resources
Planning an in-person or virtual event? There’s so much to think about! Visit this page to make it all a little easier on you and find our helpful resources including:
This section of resources contains a number of links connecting you with CEC’s policy and advocacy agenda, Legislative Action Center, staff contact, and more. These include:
|Unit/Division Resources for Supporting Sub- Divisions/Chapters
These resources are available to all, but are intended for our Unit and Division leaders to aid in their support of their respective Chapters and Sub-Divisions. Intended to support your component’s operations and expectations of these groups, on this page you’ll find:
- Administrative Support and Service Fees to Units & Divisions
- Budget Template
- Business Planning Basics LI 2017
- Bylaws - Sample Template
- CEC's Bylaws
- Committee Recharter Application
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Disclaimer for Information
- Ethics, Code of Conduct, and Conflict of Interest
- Executive Director Contract Guidelines
- Leadership Finance & Operations Guide 2019
- Leadership Finance & Legal Presentation 2020 Portland
- Mind Mapping Tool for Goal Setting
- Public Statement Disclaimer Process for Divisions and Units
- Representative Assembly FAQ
- Strategic Planning Process for Units/Divisions
- Sustaining Great Leadership and Volunteer Recruitment Engagement Retention Checklist
- Website Terms and Conditions
- Website Migration Outline
- Whistle Blower and Informant Protection Policy
- Activate Session Handout
- Activate Your Component
- Avoiding Legal and Financial Pitfalls
- Building Corporate Partnerships and Increasing Sponsorships
- Building Volunteer Pipeline
- Components 911
- Connect. Amplify. Engage (Communications)
- Connect. Amplify. Engage (Communications) Handout
- Focus Area: IEP Writing and Goal Setting
- Getting to Know CEC
- LetsGoLearn Hand Out
- Membership Cycle Presentation
- Planning In-Person Events
- Professional Affairs 2022
- Volunteer Session Handout
- Volunteer Flyer 2020 1-up
- Website Reportcard
Leadership Institute 2023 Resources
- Activate Your Membership
- Advanced Marketing Breakout
- Advanced Marketing Breakout Handout
- Advanced Membership Strategies
- Board Meeting Basics
- BoardEffect Roberts Rules of Order Cheat Sheet
- Email Communication Breakout Handout
- Email Communication Breakout PowerPoint
- Help Your Members Succeed
- How to get the Inside Scoop from Your Members
- Marketing 101
- Maximize Your Reach Handout
- New Member Onboarding 101
- Reimaging Our Leadership and Our Communities
- RFP Template
- Saturday Morning Powerpoints
- Saturday Afternoon Powerpoints
- State Level Policy and Advocacy
- State of the Council & CEC Structure
- Sunday Power Points Combined
- Supporting Early Career Teachers through State Partnerships
- Sustaining the Volunteer Experience with Onboarding
- Tips on Planning an In Person Event
- Website Ideas
- Who is Gen Z
- Working with College Students for Advisors
- Accreditation Trifold
- Professional Development Trifold
- CEC Accreditation Expectations
- EI/ECSE Standards Alignment with DEC Recommended Practices (birth - 5) and CEC High Leverage Practices (5-8)
- Cross-walks: Alignment of the CEC High Leverage Practices with the CEC Initial Practice-Based Professional Preparation Standards for Special Educators
- Help Your Members Succeed with CEC's Professional Development, Resources, and Standards and Accreditation (PPT)
- Using the Standards
If you have suggestions for additional resources, or items you would like to share with other units and divisions, we welcome your ideas and content.
Please contact the following CEC staff members for the following:
- Membership Recruitment/Retention resources: Kate Webber, Director of Membership
- Component Operations and CEC-focused resources: Danielle Wieczorek, Component Services Manager, or Brannan Meyers, Director of Component Services
- Sub-division and chapter related resources: Brannan Meyers, Director of Component Services
- Website resources/support: Web Services/Support Staff (WebSubmit@exceptionalchildren.org)