CEC Provides Recommendations to President-Elect Biden
On Thursday, CEC President Dr. Jennifer Lesh penned a letter to President-Elect Joe Biden and Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris to relay the organization’s policy priorities to the incoming administration.
“CEC appreciates the thoughtful development of an education platform that in many ways mirrors our own priorities,” wrote Dr. Lesh—who specifically highlighted the Biden Campaign’s “focus on supporting educators, providing full funding of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and promoting a strong focus on equity that includes promoting inclusion and diversity, especially for those impacted by systemic racism.”
Mirroring the board-approved policy agenda for 2021 and CEC’s emergency COVID-requests, the letter recommends the following:
- Protect and support the core principles of IDEA.
- Protect and expand policies and programs that are outside the scope of the IDEA but support students with disabilities and/or gifts and talents.
- Strengthen the special educator profession.
- Fully fund IDEA.
- Support policies that promote safe, inclusive, and supportive schools.
- Act immediately to support schools and programs impacted by COVID-19.