The CEC Special Educator Rising Star Award
This award recognizes a CEC member teacher who is in the first five years of their special education career who has shown exceptional potential for leadership in teaching, service, and/or scholarship.
The CEC Special Educator Rising Star Award recognizes a CEC member K-12 teacher who is in the first five years of their special education career. These individuals must:
- demonstrate CEC’s core values, which are:
- Visionary Thinking: Demonstrated by forward-thinking and courageous decision making dedicated to excellence and influence in an evolving environment
- Integrity: Demonstrated by ethical, responsive behavior, transparency, and accountability
- Inclusiveness: Demonstrated by a commitment to diversity, caring, and respect for the dignity and worth of all individuals
- have the ability to thoughtfully engage students, families and other stakeholders through effective communication and collaboration;
- create an engaging, inclusive classroom environment and have a positive impact on students (inspiring learning, building relationships, teaching self-determined behaviors, etc.) OR have made notable contributions to the students, classrooms, department, and/or school they serve;
- have shown exceptional potential for leadership in teaching, service, and/or scholarship.
Nominations may be made by an individual or CEC-affiliated organization (i.e., unit, chapter, division, or subdivision). Self-nominations are not accepted.
The Special Educator Rising Start Award recipient(s) will be:
- invited to attend the CEC 2022 Convention & Expo on January 16-19, in Orlando, FL, compliments of CEC (CEC will cover the recipient’s registration);
- recognized and receive a commemorative plaque at an Awards Luncheon during the CEC 2023 Convention & Expo
- featured in a press release on the CEC website (exceptionalchildren.org).
Rules and Instructions for Nomination
- All nomination materials must be submitted by 12:00 pm ET, September 19, 2022.
- The nomination form is available at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HCWWDSM
- Supporting materials may uploaded into the online nomination form as PDF, doc or docx files. If you are unable to upload them, please email them to Sharon Rodriguez.
- Please use the file name to clearly label each section and all nomination materials (e.g., “John_Smith_Rising_Star_Award.doc” or Jane_Smith_Rising_Star_Nomination.doc”)
- All materials submitted become the property of CEC and will not be returned.
Award Selection Considerations
The CEC Honors Committee has the authority to give up to five CEC Rising Star Awards or opt not to grant the award in any given year.
The nomination packet is divided into three sections:
- Nominators Statement (750 words maximum; enter online or upload)
- One additional letter of recommendation from a colleague, supervisor, or other professional documenting the nominee’s efforts in meeting the award criteria. (Upload)
- Nominee Resumé/Vita (Upload)