Brief on Student Data Privacy and Equity Released
This week, 24 organizations spanning the fields of education, healthcare, disability rights, civil liberties, and data protection released a brief detailing ten principles for student data privacy and equity.
"Education During a Pandemic: Principles for Student Data Privacy and Equity" explains that the rise in technology-driven efforts to educate students and to combat the spread of COVID-19 necessitate a set of guiding principles for schools to follow in order to instill trust in students and families that schools will address privacy and equity concerns.
The principles are:
- Support inclusion and nondiscrimination
- Address trauma
- Ensure technology and data use is evidence-based
- Only collect necessary health data
- Contextualize health symptoms
- Create data governance policies
- Limit sharing personal information
- Be transparent
- Allow humans to make final decisions
- Empower students and families