Footsteps Toward the Future: Implementing a Real-World Curriculum for Students with Developmental Disabilities - PRISM 9
The ninth volume of the CEC Division on Autism and Developmental Disabilities’ Prism series, Footsteps Toward the Future provides an overview of and strategies when implementing a real-world curriculum for students with intellectual disability, autism spectrum disorder, and other developmental disabilities.
“Real-world” curricula incorporate instruction in skills that support students in living independently and functioning successfully in an inclusive society: living, working, and having fun. Chapters in the book delve into the components of such instruction, discuss how to incorporate real-world skill training within academic settings, and explore effective community-based instruction and collaboration. Full of strategies, tools, and advice, Footsteps Toward the Future is both a valuable resource on real-world curricula and a “must-have” addition to every educator’s instructional planning toolkit.
Table of Contents:
- Chapter 1: An Overview of Real-World Curricular Approaches
- Chapter 2: Real-World Components in Practice
- Chapter 3: Real-World Curriculum Meets Content Area Instruction
- Chapter 4: A Real-World Curriculular Approach in Community-Based Settings
- Chapter 5: Working Together to Promote a Real-World Curriculum
- Conclusion: Five Years Later