Prevent-Teach-Reinforce for Families
The popular, research-based Prevent-Teach-Reinforce (PTR) model is used in schools and childcare settings nationwide to address challenging behaviors in children with and without disabilities. Now, with the Prevent-Teach-Reinforce for Families (PTR-F) model in this accessible guidebook, you can use this proven approach with families to help them resolve their child’s challenging behavior in their own homes and communities.
Developed by top behavior experts, PTR-F is a highly effective intervention model that helps families prevent behavior problems in children ages 2–10, teach proactive communication and social skills, and reinforce positive behavior. In this expertly organized book, you’ll discover how to take on the role of PTR-F facilitator to meet each family’s unique needs, and you’ll get a clear 5-step process for guiding families as they promote their child’s positive behavior (see below). With this comprehensive, adaptable model of behavior support, you’ll strengthen family engagement, set each child on the path to healthy social-emotional development, and improve quality of life for the entire family.
HELP FAMILIES WITH THE 5-STEP PTR-F PROCESS:
- Initiating the process. Establish a partnership with the family, and then work together to set individualized goals and develop a vision for the child’s future.
- Assessment. Guide the family through the steps of functional behavioral assessment (FBA) to uncover the triggers and functions behind the child’s behavior.
- Intervention. Using results of the FBA, help the family choose from a menu of intervention options to build a behavior support plan that meets their specific needs.
- Coaching. Conduct meetings with the family, acting as cheerleader and coach and guiding the family to implement the behavior support plan with fidelity in home and community settings.
- Monitoring. Review behavioral data with the family to monitor how well the plan is being implemented and whether the child is making progress.
PRACTICAL MATERIALS: Practical, printable forms (including a Behavior Rating Scale for data collection, Assessment Checklists, Behavior Support Plan Summary, Fidelity of Strategy Implementation Form, and complete PTR-F Plan Implementation Guide), plus extended case examples that walk you through the PTR-F steps and bring the process to life.