New Special Educator Jumpstart Program
This program is now full. Please check this page in the fall for more information on future Jumpstart offerings.
The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) is offering its first-ever New Special Educator Jumpstart Program August 5th-31st, created just for first- through third-year teachers.
Some of the most renowned subject matter experts in the field will not only deliver dynamic online workshops around what you need to know most before stepping foot in your classroom—they will also serve as your personal mentors throughout the program and even after the school year begins.
Here’s what you need to know:
What is this course?
A fully online (offered in a blend of synchronous and asynchronous components) induction program for first through third year special educators. The program will consist of 5 synchronous online “workshops”, synchronous virtual mentoring with CEC’s subject matter presenters, curated learning resources to supplement the course content, and a secure, online learning community accessible only to program cohort members during and beyond the program dates.
What's in it for me?
The most current information and strategies to meet challenges faced most by new special educators—and new issues likely to surface in a post-COVID classroom. Plus:
- Secure access to CEC's experienced subject matter expert presenters, creating a virtual mentorship opportunity throughout the program
- A professional network of peers within your program’s cohort to connect and share information with during the program and throughout the school year.
- A library of learning materials in various formats (including e-books of the Survival Guide for New Special Education Teachers and High Leverage Practices in Special Education) to supplement the course content, and to serve as future reference resources as they implement the strategies learned in the program.
- A certificate of completion and verification of up to 15 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) upon completion of the program
- Access to the learning community and all course materials for the duration of the 2021 school year
When will the live online workshops be held?
- Preparing for the Post-COVID Classroom with Danielle Kovach, Ed.D. Wednesday, August 5th, 4-6 p.m. ET
- Being Proactive and Compliant, Post-COVID and Beyond with David Bateman, Ph.D. & Andy Markelz, Ph.D. Monday, August 10, 2020, 4-6 p.m. ET
- High Leverage Practices in Instruction with Michael Kennedy, Ph.D. Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 4-6 p.m. ET
- Collaboration and Teamwork with Colleagues with Marilyn Friend, Ph.D. Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 4-6 p.m. ET
- Functioning with Families with Clara Hauth, Ph.D. & Catherine Creighton Thompson, Ph.D. Monday, August 31, 2020, 4-6 p.m. ET
All workshops will be recorded for you to rewatch later.
Who should attend this course?
Special education teachers in their first 3 years in the classroom, whether you're preparing to enter the classroom for the first time or an early-career teacher preparing to address new challenges presented in a new school year and post-COVID learning environment.
Member price: $299; Non-member price: $399