The CEC Special Education Research Award
This award recognizes a CEC member whose research has had a direct impact on practice, programs, or policy needs and has improved positive outcomes for children and youth with exceptionalities.
The CEC Special Education Research Award recognizes a CEC member whose research has had a direct impact on practice, programs, or policy needs and has improved positive outcomes for children and youth with exceptionalities.
Nominations may be made by an individual or a CEC-affiliated organization (unit, chapter, division, or subdivision). Self-nominations are not accepted.
The award recipient will be:
- invited to attend the CEC 2023 Convention & Expo, March 1 – 4, 2023, in Louisville, KY, compliments of CEC (CEC will cover the recipient’s registration);
- recognized and receive a commemorative plaque at an Awards Luncheon during the CEC 2023 Convention & Expo
- given a $500 cash honorarium; and
- featured in a press release on the CEC website (https://exceptionalchildren.org)
- A least one lead researcher must be a CEC member at the time of nomination and granting of the award.
- The research of the nominee must be directed at improving the success of children and youth with exceptionalities.
- The CEC Honors Committee has the authority to give only one CEC Special Education Research Award or opt not to grant the award in any given year.
- NOTE: With their permission, individuals nominated for this award but who are not selected may be included in the pool of nominees the following year. If the nominator who originally submitted the nomination intends to resubmit it for a second year, they may do so by sending a letter of intent to the Honors Committee Staff Liaison (see below). The previous nomination materials can be reused.
Rules and Instructions for Nomination
- All nomination materials must be submitted by 12:00 pm ET, September 19, 2022.
- The nomination form is available at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MDM3Q9G
- Supporting materials may uploaded into the online nomination form as PDF, doc or docx files. If you are unable to upload them, please email them to Sharon Rodriguez.
- Please use the file name to clearly label each section and all nomination materials (e.g., “John_Smith_2023_Research_Award.doc” or “John _Smith_Vitae.doc”).
- All materials submitted become the property of CEC and will not be returned.
- Nominations are accepted from individuals or from a CEC-affiliated organization (CEC unit, chapter, division, or subdivision).
- Posthumous nominations are not accepted.
The nomination packet is divided into four sections:
- Research Information
- Please provide a description of the research program for which the nominee is being nominated. (750-word maximum)
- Please provide an analysis and evaluation of the extent to which the research has had a direct impact on practice, programs, or policy needs and has improved the education of children and youth with exceptionalities. Quantitative support should be provided where possible. (750-word maximum)
- Vita of Nominee
- Letters of Support
- Please include at least two, and up to four, letters of recommendation addressing the specific research program for which the applicant is being nominated. The letters should describe the impact of the research on practice, programs, or policy needs that has resulted in positive outcomes for children and youth with exceptionalities.
- Published Articles
- Please include one to two published articles related to the research project.