100th anniversary logo

As we enter our 100th year of leading special education, the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) is recognizing exceptional educators from around the world who have shown a passion, dedication, and commitment to making a difference in the lives of the students who they teach. Hear from teachers about their personal experiences working in the field, and get inspired to make your own impact this year.

Sarah Novak

Sarah Novak is a middle school Intervention Specialist at Heritage Middle School in Westerville, Ohio. After graduating from Bowling Green State University with a degree in Special Education in 1999, she started her career teaching students with multiple disabilities in Waldorf, Maryland.  Since that time, Sarah has taught at a variety of places with a variety of students, but has been at Heritage for 13 years because she is meant to work with middle school students. A life long learner, Sarah has continued her education earning a Masters in Reading from Baldwin Wallace College and training from the Children’s Dyslexia Centers to become a Certified Academic Language Practitioner. Sarah loves helping students improve in all academics and become better readers and writers. Finally, she has a goal of finding the right book for every student each year because she believes in the joy and power of literacy. She is extremely lucky to work with amazing colleagues who are knowledgeable and strive to put students first. 

Watch the video:

Posted:  9 December, 2021
Category:

© 2023 Council for Exceptional Children (CEC). All rights reserved.