100th anniversary logo

As we enter our 100th year of leading special education, the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) is recognizing exceptional educators from around the world who have shown a passion, dedication, and commitment to making a difference in the lives of the students who they teach. Hear from teachers about their personal experiences working in the field, and get inspired to make your own impact this year.

Michele Monahan

Michele Monahan always aspired to be a teacher and has been so for 37 years in Palm Beach County, Florida.  Her amazing career began as a physical education teacher at the elementary level until she was recruitment to the position of Assistant Principal.  After realizing how much she missed teaching she returned to the classroom and helped open a new high school as teacher and academic leader.  With her leadership background she was asked to be her school’s Data Learning Team Facilitator which then segwayed to working with first year teachers as a New Teacher Mentor with the Department of Professional Development.  Soon it became clear to Michele that her heart was always happy when she worked directly with students, especially those with differing abilities.   Michele’s career path was about to take another turn when her wife, a professor of Special Education, suggested since she was already implementing learned strategies in her classroom, she become certified in Special Education and closely help those who learn differently. Michele has since earned her master’s degree in Special Education and is very happy as a Support Facilitator teacher in her 10th grade English class where she implements teaming and parallel teaching.  She has uncovered her true calling.

Watch the video:

Posted:  6 January, 2022
Category:

© 2023 Council for Exceptional Children (CEC). All rights reserved.